Sport Wales, the national Welsh Government Sponsored Body responsible for developing and promoting sport and active lifestyles is recruiting a new Chairperson.
Sport Wales is a Welsh Government Sponsored Public Body and is funded largely by grant-in-aid from the Welsh Government. It is also responsible for distributing funds from the National Lottery to sport in Wales. Sport Wales was established by Royal Charter in 1972. The four objectives set down when the Sports Council for Wales (now trading as Sport Wales) are to:
• Raise standards of performance and excellence;
• Improve the provision of sporting facilities;
• Provide technical information and advice about sport, recreation and active lifestyles.
The role will be accountable to the Minister for Culture, Tourism and Sport for Sport Wales’ performance and delivery of strategic priorities. Developing and maintaining a close relationship with the Minister and key members of the Welsh Government is a crucial part of the Chair’s role.
- Provide effective leadership to Sport Wales and its Board, defining and developing its strategic direction and representing the views of the Board to the general public.
- Work with other members to discharge the functions of the Board.
Relationship with the Chief Executive
- Establish and build a strong, effective and a supportive working relationship with the Chief Executive, providing support and advice while respecting executive responsibility;
- Conduct an annual appraisal to ensure the Chief Executive is held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives. Provide relevant training and development opportunities.
- Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way.
- Build an effective Board, initiating change and succession planning for Board appointments through the OCPA regulated process;
- Annually consult with and appraise Board members on their roles and assess their performance;
- Plan, preside over, and facilitate Board and committee meetings;
- Ensure Sport Wales’ commitment to equality and diversity.
Communication and External Relations
- Act as an ambassador for Sport Wales
- Promote effective relationships between non-executive members, the executive team and staff within Sport Wales;
- Develop, manage and maintain good relationships with interested parties both nationally and locally.
More information can be found here.