General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be implemented from 25th May 2018. We at the WSA want to ensure our members understand exactly what will be required from you in 9 month’s time.
Geldards Law Firm, WSA’s legal partners, have been releasing monthly information on how you can stay a step ahead. Read their article on an organisations recommended first priority here and make sure you sign up for the monthly email tips.
In June, the WSA facilitated the training of 25 individuals from 17 of our member bodies. Chris Brewer attended from Hockey Wales and said of the session:
‘The training provided by WSA through Geldards was both insightful and thought provoking.
The work that NGB’s will need to undertake is large but with the assistance of both organisations we should all be ready before the new Law comes into effect.’
We will be running another training morning towards the end of this calendar year. To register your interest, please click here
This is a half day course covering the following content:
- A refresher on current data protection terminology and principles
- Outlining the main changes the GDPR will introduce
- A look at data capture scenarios relevant to members and how this might be affected by the GDPR
We have now commissioned Geldards to create the following templates for your use. These will be stored on the members only section and available to you as part of your WSA membership.
Available by September 2017:
- Bring your own device policy
- Data Retention Policy
- Consent precedent – for use when obtaining personal data (not sensitive personal data) from members via website or registration form
- Job description for Data Protection Lead within organisation
- Employee data protection policy
Available by early 2018:
- Subject Access Request Procedure and template response
- Individual Rights Procedure (rectification, erasure, objection, restriction and data portability) and template responses,
- Data Breach Reporting Procedure,
- Template privacy notice
Also, don’t forget to make use of our Helpline, where WSA Members can speak to experts at Geldards for a free 30 minute call about GDPR or other Legal Issues. Details can be found here.