Welsh Netball is the National Governing Body (NGB) of Netball in Wales.
The organisation’s vision is to ‘Grow the game and inspire success’. Netball is a fast-growing sport and is gaining more attention than ever before. There is a loyal membership base that is growing continually, and the elite game is in an exciting transition phase from amateur to professional.
In order to achieve the vision, the NGB is seeking to appoint 5 Non-Executive Directors to become part of the Welsh Netball Board of Directors, in an exciting and revolutionary change for the NGB. We are looking for individuals that can broaden the skills-base and diversity of the board and support the next stage of growth and development in this exciting organisation.
Welsh Netball is particularly seeking applicants with skills in the following areas:
* Marketing and Communication
* Human Resources
* Policy and Governance
* Information Technology/ Digital
Time Commitment: Approximately 2 days per month
Remuneration: Voluntary (With Expenses)
Location: Board meetings are held in Cardiff; however, attendance can be via digital platforms when needed.
The term of Office: 2 years
* Setting the organisation’s mission, vision, values and strategy
* Delegating appropriate authority to the Chief Executive, and monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategy and agreed objectives
* Ensuring that internal controls are effective
* Creating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with stakeholders
* Provide direction and support for staff members and volunteers, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation.
* Providing mentoring and support to relevant staff members
In relation to the board:
* Ensure Welsh Netball pursues its core purpose, as set out in the Articles, as well as meeting its obligations under company law and other relevant legislation/regulations
* Ensure Welsh Netball’s organisational structure and capability, including the resource available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy
* Develop organisational policies, and monitor progress
* Create a strong and fulfilling working relationship with the other directors
* Assume guardianship of the legal and financial integrity of Welsh Netball, as required under the Companies Act 2006
* Set risk appetite and oversee risk strategy
* Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation
* Carry out regular evaluation of board performance
* Ensure compliance with relevant governance requirements, including implementation of the Governance and Leadership Framework for Wales.
In relation to Welsh Netball stakeholders and the sports sector:
* Represent Welsh Netball, championing the organisation and its members at appropriate events, meetings or functions
* Build strong and dynamic relationships with Welsh Netball’s members, understanding their diverse needs and uniting their voices
* Actively promote the diverse social and health benefits of Welsh Netball
* Establish, nurture and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders including Sport Wales.
In relation to independence and Welsh Netball:
* Welsh Netball welcomes applications from individuals who could be considered independent from the sport of netball, but who can contribute essential business skills and an outside perspective to the board.
The successful candidate will be a strong leader who recognises how sport and physical activity contributes to society and the health and wellbeing of individuals.
Previous board experience is not essential but would be desirable. However, applications from candidates who have not previously served in a board role but who can demonstrate the skills and competencies necessary to contribute to Welsh Netball are welcomed.
Knowledge of netball is not an essential requirement for the role.
* Demonstrates robust, collaborative leadership
Has demonstrable experience in building and leading diverse teams, and uniting teams around shared aims and values.
* Experience in developing organisations
Demonstrable experience in supporting the establishment and growth of developing organisations
* Thorough understanding of and ability to implement good governance
Knowledge of the principles of good governance, and how these can be applied to sport to achieve optimum performance in governing bodies; in particular the structures and procedures required for decision-making, accountability and transparency and managing conflicts of interest.
* Awareness and understanding of board responsibilities in a small business
Has a strong understanding of the role of the board, and the board’s responsibilities with regard to governance, financial management, risk management and public accountability.
* Ability to influence across the sporting landscape (Desirable, not essential)
Understands the sporting landscape and has the knowledge and ability to build strong relationships and navigate sporting, political and commercial environments
* Excellent Communication Skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communicates plans and activities in a way that promotes understanding and buy in from others, and supports Welsh Netball strategy
* Organisation and effective planning
Shows an ability to organise and plan work on behalf of self and others; establishing efficient and appropriate plan of action for the board in line with agreed actions and strategies
* Ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders
Understands the importance of building effective relationships, and demonstrates an ability to develop and maintain strong, collaborative professional relationships with a range of stakeholders.
Open to change, and capable of adapting plans and behaviour to account for changes to circumstance or new information. Reacts rapidly to new situations or unexpected obstacles warranting attention.
* Can operate comfortably in different cultural situations
Understands the importance of personal and organisational values, and demonstrates an ability to adapt to different situations and circumstances
* Independence and objectivity
Demonstrates a clear ability to operate with an independent and objective mindset in the best interests of Welsh Netball, including during board discussion and interactions with stakeholders.
The deadline for applications is August 1st, 2018, midday, and interviews will take place shortly after with the CEO and Chair of the Board, on August 14th. Please submit a CV with supporting covering letter which demonstrates your suitability for any of the 5 the roles.
Welsh Netball is committed to recruiting a diverse, skills-based board, and encourages applications from people from under-represented populations.
If you would like to discuss the roles before applying, please contact Sarah Jones CEO Sarah.email@example.com
To apply, click here