On Friday, the First Minister Mark Drakeford MS announced minor changes to the current lockdown measures that have some impact for sport and physical activity. Wales remains at Alert Level 4, and everyone must “stay at home”. Exercise is a reasonable excuse to leave home. There are limits on what we can practically do because of venue closures and limits on travel.
The main changes for sport and physical activity as a result of the announcement are:
- As of tomorrow, four people from a maximum of two households will be able to meet outdoors for exercise.
- Children under 11 do not count towards this total.
- Exercise should still start and end at home, so both households will need to live in close proximity to each other.
- So called “household bubbling” is not allowed, so this is strictly two households.
- No specific form of exercise is prohibited, but the closure of venues prevents some forms of exercise, as does the inability to travel by car to begin exercise.
- Disabled people and those with limited mobility can travel to a more suitable location for exercise.
Additionally, the First Minister announced that Sport Wales will begin to expand the numbers of Elite athletes permitted to train. The First Minister also said that the process of “reopening” the economy is likely to begin during March. From the detail of his statement and responses to questions, this will prioritise outdoor activity and activity for under 18s. The next review will be announced on the 12 March, where we expect the current “stay at home” order to end. This should enable travel for outdoor exercise once and begin the process of reopening closed premises.
There will another review that will take place in the week before the Easter weekend (3 &4 April).
FAQs and guidance are available on the Welsh Government website and are the most reliable source of guidance and information : https://gov.wales/alert-level-4
The Welsh Government press release is available here: https://gov.wales/lockdown-continue-further-three-weeks-pupils-return-school
There has also been an update to the Coronavirus Control Plan, available here.
All updates and timetables announced today by the Prime Minister relate to England only. We will update members about the situation in Wales as soon as possible, with any significant announcements to take place during the First Ministers press conference at 1215 on the 12 March.