Advocacy and Policy
A core part of the mission of the WSA is to provide an independent collective voice for our members. With continued pressures on public spending, it has never been so critical that the value of sport to the whole of Welsh society is recognised by politicians and key decision makers.
We are determined to fight the corner for continuing investment in sport not only for its own sake but for the broader positive benefits it brings to Welsh society.
In addition, we maintain a constant vigil on the development of policy and legislation which may affect our sector – making the case for sport in a manner which is both evidence-based and effective.
We employ a wide range of methods to achieve this including:
- Campaigning on key issues
- The development of a WSA Policy & Advocacy Group, led by the sector
- Working with alliances and networks to promote, reinforce and champion the views of our members
- Constantly seeking evidence to support our positions
- Monitoring proposed legislation and emerging policy
- Responding coherently to relevant national consultations which arise from time to time
- Regular meetings with Welsh Government Ministers and policy officials
- Holding meetings with Local Authorities and other influential stakeholders who may have an impact on our sector
- Supporting members with briefings, templates and other campaigning resources.
- Working with other Third Sector organisations through the Wales Council for Voluntary Action – including the Third Sector Partnership Council, which is the key vehicle for managing the relationship of the Welsh Government with the Third Sector.