Welsh Language Support
Following on from WSA member demand, the WSA has created a suite of Welsh Language resources in conjunction with the Welsh Language Commissioner (WLC) and Sport Wales. The resource includes a range of free support and resources to allow WSA members and the wider sporting sector to develop their use of the Welsh language.
Helo Blod will be launched in March 2020, the service will be available to sporting bodies, the charity sector and to small and medium businesses.
A free translation service of 500 words per month will be available! There is also a free proof reading service that will offer 1000 words per year.
Please see further details and resources available from the WLC Hybu Team to help develop your Welsh language use.
1 in 5 people in Wales speak Welsh. Offering services in Welsh can:
- Attract new members and volunteers to your sport
- Meet the needs of your current members
- Create a sense of team and national pride
Welsh speakers are more likely to be hooked on sport and volunteer. 42% of children aged 10-14 can speak Welsh and this figure is increasing. If you receive public funding you should be required to provide services in Welsh.
- Identify which officers and volunteers speak Welsh.
- Appoint a Welsh language champion to be responsible for promoting and developing your Welsh language offer.
- Use the Iaith Gwaith to show which officers speak Welsh. You can order Iaith Gwaith resources FREE.
- Encourage Welsh speakers to gain confidence in writing in Welsh by using our FREE proof reading service.
- Ensure that the Welsh language is present at events and competitions. Here’s a short guide.
- Use more Welsh on social media
- Give the Welsh language more prominence on your corporate image – bilingual logo, certificates and marketing materials. See the bilingual design guide.
- Make the most of any text translations on your website or publications by commissioning a translator that understands your organisation’s voice. Please see further details on sport specific translators below.
- Identify stars/champions in your sport who speak Welsh – support them with speaking to the media in Welsh and to visit clubs and schools. Promote them as role models for young people.
- Ask which clubs offer training in Welsh or bilingually – how about using them an example for a case study e.g. filming a training session
- How about promoting which Welsh medium services you have on offer, your ‘Cymraeg Offer’.
What is Cynnig Cymraeg?
The aim of Cynnig Cymraeg (Welsh offer) is to let the public know about the Welsh language services you offer, and encourage everyone to use them.
If you are a charity or a business that already has a Welsh language policy in place or you’re looking to draw one up, this is an excellent opportunity to work with the Welsh Language Commissioner to ensure that your policy is fit for purpose to receive recognition and to increase the use of your services.
Please download the intro pack to see how you can be apart of Cynnig Cymraeg and how the the Hybu team can help you.
The Cynnig Cymraeg is not available to organisations who work directly under Welsh Language Standards
Note: completing this assessment is a useful exercise for clubs that are applying for Sport Wales grants.
Sport Specific Translators
Below are a select group of translators, for the sporting sector and WSA members to utilise moving forward.
The WSA has worked on a shortlist through the Association of Welsh Translators, and engaged those translators with a specialist service in Sport. The WSA requested that this bank of welsh translators utilise memory translation software where possible, to ensure consistency and provide best value for money. The translators will also link with the Coleg Cymraeg terminology portal, Termau will offer a complete list of terms, which is easy to filter and can also ensure consistency.
Please find the WSA shortlisted translation organisations, as well as freelancers below. When reaching out, please indicate that you are a member of the WSA, and they will provide you with their most competitve rates.
Name: Haf Roberts
Mobile: 07785 732548
Name: Elinor Gwerfyl Price
Tel: 01341 422094
Name: Owain Glyn Saunders Jones
Tel: 01970 832 172
STEFFAN RHYS WILLIAMS
Name: Steffan Rhys Williams
Name: Rhys Lorwerth
Mobile: 07990 590 185
NERYS HURFORD LTD
Name: Nerys Hurford
Mobile: 07801 657370
Name: Eiri Sion