Remembering a fantastic Welsh Sports Hall of Fame Dinner!
The Welsh Sports Association (WSA) would like to thank the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame for a wonderful and fascinating evening on September 20th, as we attended the 31st edition of their annual dinner and first since 2019!
Surrounded by our members and partners, some of the WSA team saw legendary figures from around Welsh sport inducted into the Hall of Fame. Throughout the evening we were able to enjoy the inductions of:
- Kevin Ratcliffe, who captained Everton to two First Division titles as well as an FA Cup, a European Cup Winners Cup, and four FA Community Shields in the 1980s.
- Georgia Davies, who represented Team GB at London 2012 and Rio 2016 in swimming, winning 20 international medals including Commonwealth gold.
- Helen Jankins, one of the country’s most celebrated triathletes, having been crowned World Triathlon Champions twice and represented Team GB at three Olympic Games.
- Maurice Richards, former rugby league and rugby union Welsh international winger, as well as being part of the 1968 British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa.
- Robert Weale, a hugely decorated lawn bowls player, winning gold a total of nine times across the Commonwealth Games, World Indoor Bowls Championships, Atlantic Bowls Championships, and the British Isles Championships.
- The late Ted Peterson, an iconic figure in Welsh baseball who had previously been named ‘unsung hero of sport’ by the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and who still held the title of Welsh Baseball Union President at the time of his passing in 2005.
- And the late Mike Davies, who boasted a 60-year career in the tennis business including as a professional player, having enjoyed a period as Great Britain’s highest-ranking player and been a member of GB’s Davis Cup side, and a pioneer of the professional game.
We were also able to see other figures receive recognition at the event; BBC Sport Wales producer and programme maker Craig Withycombe won the Peter Corrigan Welsh sports media award while former Welsh rugby international and endurance athlete Richard Parks received the Rhodri Morgan award.
It was a special evening, and one that will be fondly remembered by those who attended. The WSA would once again like to extend its gratitude to the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame for hosting!