WSA Don’t Drop the Ball – #dontdroptheball
The Welsh Sports Association (WSA) strives to enable its members and the wider sport and leisure sector to become stronger and more resilient, so that they’re able to provide people with every opportunity to maintain a healthy lifestyle and in turn set up a society that is fit for the future.
As we progress through what will be a massively challenging new year, the WSA would like to remind all of our members that we provide an array of resources and services designed to allow you to not drop the ball.
In order for organisations, facilities, clubs, and individuals to be able to contribute to our mission of a prosperous and healthy future, it is imperative that they don’t forget their organisational and induvial responsibilities and duties and are aware of the opportunities that can help them grow, progress, and remain resilient.
So, the WSA has compiled a list of resources alongside some of our services for you to take advantage of below, so that you #dontdroptheball and can confidently, safely and responsibly partake in and provide sport events and activities!
WSA Procurement Service and Portal
Through partners 2buy2 and in collaboration with Community Leisure UK, the WSA offers a procurement service for the sport and leisure sector. This is a crucial tool in offering members the opportunity to make savings of scale on a range of necessities – from energy to equipment, to sustainable energy solutions to cleaning products – as we continue to head into financially worrying times.
2buy2 will deliver several specific procurement services for eligible organisations as follows:
- Access to an Online Procurement Portal for the Sport & Leisure Sector
- Access to a Contracts Register Tool
- A Procurement “Health Check”
- Additional Strategic Procurement Service support.
- Net Zero Carbon products and service support
Find out more on our dedicated Sport & Leisure Procurement Service page.
Good governance provides the foundations for organisational growth and opportunity – everything that we do involves helping our members become more resilient businesses, and robust governance is very much at the heart of this.
- CalQRisk – WSA partners CalQRisk are leaders in Governance, Risk and Compliance and have worked with us to develop a platform aligned to the Governance & Leadership Framework and the Sport Wales Capability Framework, ensuring that the sport and leisure sector is up to date with all current and upcoming regulations so organisations can remain compliant.
- Acorn – Also WSA partners, Acorn provide preferential rates to our members in their recruitment process for Non-Executive Directors ad Board members.
Insurance & Risk Assessments
Is your current insurance policy fit for purpose?
Ensure that you have the most appropriate cover to face the challenges that lie ahead – from the increased risk to cyber security linked to virtual working to travel and event disruptions!
Our official insurance brokers Watkin Davies offer free, independent insurance reviews for WSA members. Their dedicated Sport Insurance Division specialise in working with organisations and clubs to find tailored policies at competitive prices. To take advantage of this offer please visit our dedicated insurance webpage or contact the team.
Individual sports coaches are also supported for their insurance needs, having access to our Coaches Portal – developed in partnership with Watkin Davies and our insurance underwriter partners Sportscover Europe – where they can find tailored quotes for comprehensive cover.
It is vital to ensure that you are to speed with the latest safeguarding requirements and be certain that you have the appropriate welfare measures in place, in order to ensure that your sport and your activity is safe for all to enjoy.
- DBS – the WSA offers an efficient and cost-effective DBS checking service, utilised by a growing client base of over 300 organisations. Our system is completely digital, making the process simple and hassle-free, as well as being one of the most competitively priced services on the market and Wales’ only bilingual DBS service! WSA members also enjoy discounted rates! Visit our Safeguarding and DBS checking service webpage for further details, or contact the team.
- Safeguarding Training – ensure you are prepared from a safeguarding standpoint. Please see our Safeguarding Training page for various courses, including the popular Time To Listen course aimed at helping Club Welfare Officers fulfil their safeguarding responsibilities.
- A reduction in administration fees in the DBS checking service – for more information about the decrease in prices for each DBS check, click here.
Funding & Grants
With the situation surrounding the cost of living becoming increasingly precarious, organisations, clubs, and facilities should be fully aware of the financial support available to them in order to ensure that the sport and leisure sector can continue providing society with necessary services.
Visit our Funding & Grants page to view some of the brilliant opportunities for financial support, including:
- Major Sporting Events 2022-2030 Subsidy Scheme, which will support major sporting events in Wales over the course of a decade with an estimated total expenditure of around £36 million.
- Funding Database, allowing you to search hundreds of grant and loan finance opportunities from local, national and international sources.
Are you aware of your legal responsibilities or do you need advice or guidance on any legal matters?
Contact our partners at Loosemores Solicitors for expert advice and services on a wide range of legal matters. Loosemores offer our members a free one-hour helpline service per matter, so please utilise the helpline service if needed.
Are your organisation’s first aid certificates up to date? Are you aware of the latest protocols and guidance for first-aiders?
St John Cymru offer a full range of First Aid courses, including bespoke sports first aid courses, which can be tailored around the needs of individual sports. WSA members receive generous discounts on training, event cover and first aid products – visit our First Aid webpage for details.
Welsh Language Support
Did you know that, according to last year’s Annual Population Survey, nearly 30% of people in Wales speak Welsh and that nearly half a million people use the language daily? And this figure is on a positive upward trajectory!
Offering services in Welsh can:
- Attract new members and volunteers to your sport
- Meet the needs of your current members
- Create a sense of team and national pride
This is why the WSA’s Welsh Language Support page offers a bank of resources and contacts to useful services which can help and encourage your organisation to integrate the use of Welsh into your activity – something that can only have a positive impact!
- Simple phrases relating to sport and physical activity
- Sport resources provided by the Welsh Language Commissioner
- Guidance on how to attract a bilingual audience on social media
- Contacts to experienced translators and free proof-reading services
- And much more!
The WSA has also partnered up with the National Centre for Learning Welsh to launch an online, two-part, sport-specific training course for people within the sport and leisure sector to get a grip on the basics of the Welsh language.
Alongside this, the partnership has seen the launch of the inaugural Raising Confidence Residential Course which will be held during 13-17 March 2023! We are thrilled by the positive response to this course and, although applications have now closed, we will look to provide more opportunities later in 2023.
Communications & Digital
Look at secure, innovative ways of working. Engaging with members and public will help organisations adapt and even thrive in the face of fresh challenges.
- Membership management – Sport:80 have already helped many of our members with their sophisticated yet easy-to-use sports management systems – and there’s a WSA pricing model for WSA members to benefit from.
- Our Cyber Security hub contains a comprehensive list of guidance notes and tools that are designed to support individuals and organisations when it comes to enhancing cyber security awareness and practices.
- Telecommunications – WSA are teaming up with Croft Communications to provide members with the latest telecoms solutions at the very best prices. Members can also secure kick-backs for their organisation and clubs through Croft’s Grassroots Initiative. Please contact the team for further information.
- Livestreaming – Members can now access a preferential deals on innovative and simple to use streaming solutions from Joymo. It’s an opportunity to engage with fans, enhance participant experience and generate income through ticket sales. Further details available from the WSA’s Joymo partner page.